Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Breakfast at Tiffany's Quilt

I have been a bit slack with blogging. I have finished finally my 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' Quilt. it has been a really hard slog with it for some reason.  When I started the quilt I decided to to it the right way and not my way.  So I cut out all the pieces and put them in little boxes and labeled them so I would be organised from the start.
Then when i started piecing the quilt I realised that I had miscalculated and not cut enough pieces, I had to go back and cut again.
All along I was not sure what to back the quilt with and at the last minute decided to piece more of the Breakfast at Tiffany's fabric and have a two sided quilt. Then I miscalculated again, running very short of fabric I had to really be quite inventive to get it all together.  some of the blocks are entirely different but I think it all looks alright now.
I found that the fabric was very hard because it frayed badly while i was sewing it.  Too much handling I suppose.
I machine quilted in a straight line well almost a straight line.  The quilt is sixty inches square so it was a bit hard to manage on my Bernina 440.

I am pleased with the overall outcome, it is for my daughter.  I used bamboo batting for the first time, it is so soft and wonderful to use I hope it is warm as well. I finished off by hand sewing the binding.

No comments:

Post a Comment